Eat Yourself Fit

Cauliflower Rice with mixed veg and shredded Brussels
I don't know about you, but whenever I am eating clean e.g. chicken breast, broccoli and spinach for dinner my family will always be eating something like an Indian curry, it's SO frustrating.

I thought ''surely there must be a way I can enjoy the same meals that my family are eating but make healthier choices and substitutions''. So in this case it's rice... cauliflower rice, it's going to be your savior!



 The idea of me making cauliflower rice was from watching Jamie Oliver's Money Saving Meals. This inspired me to not just use up left over vegetables it showed me that you can play around with the flavours.
The recipe will depend on how much you want to make but I think half a small/medium cauliflower is sufficient for one fulfilling serving.

Cauliflower Rice Recipe (for 1)
  • ½ small cauliflower.
  • Vegetables (such as mixed veg)
  • Optional: Spices such as Turmeric (you preference) 

Method:
  1. Wash the Cauliflower
  2. Cut into florets
  3. Put the florets in the food processor with an "S" blade
  4. Pulse until it resembles the consistency of rice/cous cous (pictured on the right below)
  5. Put the raw cauliflower rice in a microwavable bowl
  6. Optional: Add in mixed vegetables/spices (but I recommend otherwise it is bland)
  7. Cover the bowl tightly with cling film.
  8. Microwave for 7 minutes *
  9. Serve 
  
 *Times may vary depending on the quantity of cauliflower you use but I have found 7 minutes is sufficient for a medium/large cauliflower
In terms of vegetables, I added some frozen mixed veg and shredded Brussel sprouts (from Marks and Spencer for £1-pictured in the centre) & I recommend not to add salt in the cauliflower rice (to reduce your salt intake) ensuring its healthier for you- Guidance on salt intake
I had the rice with Chicken Koftas (Indian Meatballs) and Greek yoghurt (pictured left). Trust me on this one, this rice does not compromise on taste and is very filling!

Tip:
Cauliflower rice absorbs sauce fast, so if you plan to have it with a saucy dish after you have put it into your bowl, put a very thin layer of rice on top of the cauliflower rice to act as a barrier so the sauce isn't absorbed.

Cauliflower rice is so versatile for example it can be eaten cold by mixing it with cous cous and can be used in egg fried ''cauliflower rice'' **(Below):

** I followed the egg fried rice recipe for guidance from The Hairy Dieters Eat for Life Book (highly recommended) but to give you an idea click here for a similar recipe.

Let me know what you think and if you make it please comment your thoughts below!
Kimren xo

Comments

Popular Posts