Turtle Bay- Caribbean Social Review

Anyone who truly knows me knows that I LOVE jerk chicken, well jerk anything in fact. It was suggested that I should try the food at Turtle Bay and I can't believe I hadn't heard about it before! It was THAT good that I've been twice in a two week period. The first visit was in Nottingham and the second was in Birmingham. This review breaks it down into three areas: the interior and the food/drinks.

So first the interior
As you can see in the middle picture (above) Turtle Bay is a clean looking, welcoming and informal restaurant. It is perfect for any occasion- dinner with friends, after work drinks and occasions Although this picture was taken from their website, Nottingham and Birmingham were both welcoming and clean. 

 Now it's the exciting bit...THE FOOD
The top two were purchased in Nottingham, bottom two in Birmingham


From left to right:

JERK PIT BBQ: 1/2 jerk chicken, coleslaw and sweet potato mash* (£9.95)
ONE POTS- Jamaican Browned Chicken, Marinated & slow braised on the bone, rice ‘n’ peas, fried dumplings (£9.65)
JERK PIT BBQ: Mobay Chicken- Chicken breast, creamy jerk spiced sauce, onions, plantain and dressed salad. With rice ‘n’ peas and sweet potato mash*
JERK PIT BBQ: Jerk Lamb-Grilled jerk marinated & glazed lamb steak, fresh green seasoning, Caribbean slaw & sweet potato mash 

* You can choose from either sweet potato mash or sweet potato fries

Pros
  • The chicken in both the one pot and jerk was the best I had ever eaten, it was falling off the bone, really moreish, very well flavoured and comforting.
  • If you like your spice (chilli) you will love the jerk chicken.
  • In the third picture (at the top) you can see that different Caribbean sauces are presented on the table- BBQ jerk sauce, hot chilli sauce and a Bajan sauce. In my opinion I liked the food how it was and I didn't think they were needed.
  • Usually I only eat lamb at home as I dislike it when it's chewy, however the lamb at Turtle Bay wasn't chewy and was..well.. actually very tasty!
 Cons
  • The only recommendation I can give is that the pots used for the "one pot" should be changed once the paint starts to come off.
  • In my opinion I wasn't too keen on the Mobay chicken, if you don't like the heat (chilli wise) but would like to try something mild this is definitely for you.

Last we have the 241 Cocktails

Reggae Rum Punch

Snapshot of the cocktails menu
Vanilla and Passion Fruit Mojito

Pros
  • I really love that Turtle Bay do 241 cocktails, everyday, 7 days a week (from midday). I think it's the only restaurant I've been to that does this. 
  • They have a very good variety of cocktails from mojitos to pina coladas and more (16 to be precise).
  • Prices are around £6.50 which is a bargain for two cocktails.
  • The mojito was really good but strong.

Cons
  •  I asked the waitress in Birmingham which cocktail was the best, she suggested the Reggae Rum Punch. When the drinks were brought to the table I could smell the alcohol straight away, I had a little sip and it was the strongest cocktail I've ever had! I only managed to half just under half of it, but the taste was very pungent, so if you want a strong cocktail get this one. The waitress told me after I was given the drink that it's one of the strongest cocktails on the menu!!
 
Have you been to Turtle Bay? If you haven't been do you think it's somewhere you'd like to try? I would love to hear your comments.
 
Kimren xo


Comments

Popular Posts