Chilli Cassava/Mogo Recipe


Hello all! First of all I would like to apologise for not posting sooner! I have been SO busy with my MPhil at university and it's just been so manic! I promised to give you guys the recipe for chilli cassava/mogo a month ago so this is what I will be blogging about today.

Before the recipe I will give you some information on when I first tasted it and the benefits of the vegetable:



So.... I was introduced to mogo at my best friend's wedding and I instantly fell in love with it, it tastes like a mixture of paneer (indian cottage cheese) and potato and I couldn'tt stop stuffing my face with it. Since then I had been craving mogo for ages as restaurants near my house do not make this dish (sad times)...so I took matters in to my own hands and thought to make it myself.

Mogo aka cassava/yuka is a root vegetable high in fiber, magnesium, copper, vitamin c, folate and is gluten free! Please take care when cooking mogo and do not eat it raw as it contains toxins,cooking it reduces the compounds to safe levels.

Chilli Mogo Recipe

Serves 2 as a main or 5 as a side dish
Ingredients
Method

Boil the mogo cubes for 20 minutes until tender (forgot to take a picture), after they have boiled drain in a colander and allow the steam to evaporate for 15-20 minutes. When they are cool deep fry in vegetable oil for 3 minutes constantly tossing until slight golden, place kitchen roll on a plate and put the mogo on top to allow it to drain

Mix all sauces in a bowl and set aside
On a medium heat add 1 tbsp oil, ginger and garlic and saute for a minute
Add in onions, pepper, and saute for 2 minutes. Add in salt, sugar and sauces and mix, cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add in the fried mogo and toss. Add chopped red onion and coriander  for garnish, serve immediately with rice.

Cassava on the left with vegetable rice, chicken and korma potato/cauliflower curry
Tip: 
If you cannot find fresh mogo, they are in the freezer section in Asda under the name "cassava chips".
 Have you tried cassava? If so how do you prefer it? Would love to hear your comments.

Till next time...
Kimren xo

Comments

Popular Posts