Reduce Your Risk of Getting Breast Cancer & ProfBiotics Supplements Review*
Breast Cancer is the leading source of death in womenThe topic of breast cancer is very close to my heart. I think this is the longest post to date but I really want to share my family history of breast cancer, what we can do to help reduce our risk / how to maintain breast health and a review on ProfBiotic's supplements- a vitamin and dietary supplement formulation to support breast wellbeing (and other diseases- explained in the post)
Family History of Breast Cancer in the Family
My sister and I are currently on a breast cancer register due to my mum getting breast cancer at such a young age. Because I had seen everything my Mother went through it's SO important that I limit the chances of getting it, therefore I am trying various things to reduce my risk. I have been very health conscious since the diagnosis and 41% of the British population don't realise the importance the diet has in the development of cancer. We need to try and educate ourselves to ensure we are not just healthy but reduce our risks to cancers.
Tips on the compounds to maintain breast health
A growing body of evidence suggests that certain dietary factors play an important role in the development and prevention of breast cancer. These will be discussed below:Lycopene
- Lycopene is a pigment found in tomatoes and other red fruits such as watermelons and papayas.
- Studies suggest that women with higher circulating levels of lycopene may be reduced risk of breast cancer.
- Vitamin D is produced primarily in the skin on exposure to the sun.
- There is evidence that higher levels of vitamin D in the blood decrease the risk of breast cancer, which has been found to regulate cell death – data suggest there is an association between lower levels of vitamin D and higher rates of breast cancer
- Zinc is an essential mineral with antioxidant properties
- Curcumin is a natural substance with anti-inflammatory properties found in turmeric
- Curcumin has been well described in laboratory studies to inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells and it has the potential to prevent the development of breast cancer
- The incidence of breast cancer in India is more than three-times lower than in the UK. India has the highest consumption of turmeric worldwide.
The Benefits of ProfBiotics Breast SupplementsEach capsule contains:
- Vitamin D 12.5MCH (500IU)
- Zinc (from Citrate) 7.5mg
- Curcumin extract 25:1-240mg providing 6000mg whole herb equivalent
- Lycopene-rich Tomatoe powder 5mg
It has been suggested to take two capsules with a source of fat (e.g olive oil) or if you cannot swallow these, they can be opened and sprinkled on food (that contains a source of fat).
These supplements don't have a nasty after taste. The upside of the ProfBiotics range is that they have made supplements to help reduce your chances of other diseases/cancers such as:
- Pancreas and
Below is an example of the breast health meal plan (accessed from http://www.profbiotics.com/meal-plans):
- Breakfast: A wholegrain bagel topped with 1 tsp low fat cream cheese and a sprinkle of blueberries Mid morning snack: A large slice of cantaloupe melon
- Lunch: A small wholegrain baguette, spread with olive based margarine, filled with 2 thin slices of roast beef /pork or 1 sliced quorn sausage and served with a handful of watercress
- Mid afternoon snack: A strawberry smoothie made from 1 large glass of skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, a handful of strawberries and a squeezed lime
- Evening Meal: Spiced chicken and quinoa A cup of quinoa, ½ chopped apple, 1 sprinkle of pine nuts and chilli flakes topped with a chicken breast marinated in turmeric
- A baked orange with ginger and a drizzle of chocolate sauce
All the information in this review has been based on clinical evidence, if you are interested in finding out where my sources are from please don't hesitate to contact me. The supplements are also sold on the ProfBiotics Site, so please take a look.
I hope this post has educated you more on what you on what we can do to reduce our chances of getting Breast cancer and how to maintain breast health as well as informing you on the supplements for other diseases.
Is there anything you guys know on reducing your chances of getting diseases? I'd love to find out!
* ProfBiotics offer concentrated nutrition and are not medicines designed to cure or treat cancer. ProfBiotics Breast is not a medicine and does not replace the need to eat a varied and balanced diet or to reduce your need to exercise*